Thursday, March 29, 2012

Basking Under The Tybee Sun

Scott, the pups and myself arrived in Tybee Island yesterday. I've wanted to come here for a few years, ever since I came across these little cottages online. I have been crazy busy lately and Spring Break was upon us. I finally talked Scott into coming to do nothing but relax.
When we took the I-16 exit for Savannah towards Tybee, we were an hour and a half early for check in so we made a pit stop in Savannah for a stroll down the riverfront cobblestone roads and a margarita. Delish.
It's also Mako's 3rd Birthday. These are the only half way decent photos I took while in Savannah.














This is our cottage. We originally booked a smaller 3/1 for ourselves and the pups but during the golf tournament I received a phone call that they had accidentally double booked our cottage. They gave us a choice of any pet-friendly cottage on the island. So we ended up with this one; a 4/3 with a small pool and fenced yard for the dogs. We are so happy with it. It couldn't be more cozy, beachy and artsy.
















Once settled in, we cozied on the couch with the dogs and took them for a walk. We relaxed some more and Scott made a fruity beverage for himself and a big plastic wine glass of Sav Blanc for me to go for a stroll on the beach. Yes, drinks from home on the beach. That's one of the laid back perks of the island, you can take drinks ANYWHERE. The beach cruiser bike rentals even have a basket and a drink holder.
Our "stroll" ended up being a VERY long walk but we were completely happy with that. It's been exactly what I intended; no plans whatsoever. The beach here is beautiful with looooong sandy beach before the waves crash and beautiful dunes. We saw the pier in the distance and decided to walk to it, that's what made our walk so long. Once we were there, we walked the main roads back to the cottage, checking out all of the houses, rentals and places of business.
We came across a little restaurant called Social and the sign out front said "Wednesday Winesday". Right up my alley. So I asked Scott if we could just go there and he worried that him in khaki cargos/tee and me in my cotton skirt/V-tee, made us not dressed appropriately enough as it looked a bit beachy fancy from the front in all white and a porch strung with lights. I knew that probably wasn't the case as Tybee Island's theme is always "Plan B", but I humored him and walked home first to get the car. We took the dogs for another walk and headed back to Social. It was the best decision we could have made.
As cheesy as it sounds, when I say it couldn't have been more than perfect, I mean it. We decided to sit inside as it was all whites and wood and perfectly lit. Adele was playing as we took our seats at a high top in the small little wooden bar. The music continued to be songs that we know & love. There were pieces of drift wood strategically placed at the base of some of the stools and there was an old school table top PAC-man in the corner.
I was pleased to find that the menu was mostly Mexican themed with very decent prices. We started with homemade chips, queso blanco, guacamole, and two salsas; fire-roasted & tomatillo. A fresh squeezed margarita for me, a PBR for the hubs.
We knew we wouldn't eat much so we decided on splitting the chorizo burger and shoe string sweet potato fries (at $1 more, why not!), and it was delish! Handmade red wine sangria for me, another Pabst for the hubs. I definitely want to try an "upscale" fish taco: A crispy strip of bacon. Pear Puree with chorizo and fresh cilantro. Ride’n a corn tortilla wave. $5.5
Here is what is said about the Tybee Island Social Club:
"...a charming white-washed sun-bleached outpost. Walk past the large, shady patio inside, where ceiling fans lazily revolve amid chandeliers made with recycled, colored glass insulators. Hung on the painted white beadboard, you'll find almost as much ephermera as on a long walk on the shore-old surfboards, island art and photos..."-Georgia Trend Magazine March 2011

That it was.
We played PAC-man before we left. :)






We came home from dinner quite full bearing leftovers. We set the coffee maker & alarm for sunrise and snuggled into bed with the pups in the downstairs calming coral bedroom.

Goodnight Tybee.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment